Monday, November 18, 2013

A Recipe for Apple Pie


Not to brag or anything but my mom makes the best pie! Doesn't matter what type of pie it is, it will be the best! (I've had my share of pie and have yet to taste anything as good as hers!) Trying to live up to this, I've taken on the challenge of baking a pie each Thanksgiving from one of her recipes. I still feel like her's are better but she is older has more experience than me so I'll keep working to perfect it.

This year I made an apple pie and seeing as the holiday season is approaching I thought I'd share her recipe for this delicious treat. Take a peak below and enjoy impressing all your friends with this traditional, yet unique, take on a pie classic.








Mom's Pie Recipe:

Pie Crust (makes enough for 2 pies or 1 pie & some tarts!)

2 Cups flour
½ TBSP sugar
1 Tsp salt
¾ Cup shortening (I used Tenderflake)
½ TBSP vinegar
1 egg
¼ Cup cold water


1. Mix the dry ingredients together then add the shortening in pieces.  Using a pastry blender (or 2 sharp knifes) work it into the flour until it is little pieces.

2. In a separate bowl mix the egg, vinegar and water with a fork and then add it to the flour and shortening.  Mix it together – I usually start with a spoon & then use my hands – it’s fun just like play dough!!  Make a big ball with the dough – I sometimes pat a little water on the outside to make it smooth.  Put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes before rolling into a pie crust.
* If you want, you can keep it in the fridge wrapped in plastic (for several days) until you make the pie crust. 

3. Take ½ the dough & sprinkle flour on your counter and rolling pin.  Gently roll the dough flat and try to make a big circle. Keep sprinkling flour if it is sticky.

4. Place it in a pie plate (or pie dish) & trim the edges – I like to press the edges with the bottom of the fork. Using a fork make lots of fork pricks in the dough (this makes it stay in shape!)


Apple Filling

5 to 6 large apples sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used Cortland apples)
¾ cup brown sugar

2 TBSP flour 
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp whiskey (I used spiced rum and added an extra tsp. You can also use vanilla instead of alcohol)
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
2 TBSP unsalted butter
Cinnamon Mixture (2 tsp white sugar mixed with 1/8 tsp cinnamon)

1. Combine apples in a bowl with brown sugar,  flour, lemon juice, whiskey, cinnamon & salt. Let stand for 15 minutes (this makes the apples nice & soft).

2. Pour the filling into the pie crust & dot with unsalted butter cut into small pieces.

3. Cover the top of the pie with remaining dough (I usually do a lattice top) & sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

4. Add the pie filling & bake @ 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then @ 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
* I always put tin foil just around the edge of the pie pastry so it doesn’t burn when you cook it @ 425 & then take the foil off when you cook it @ 350.

5. Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!


{Photos © Laura Clarke Photography}

No comments:

Post a Comment